Monday, January 19, 2015

Introducing: Med School & Adventures

A little introduction...

I wanted to start this blog in order to chronicle this exciting time in my life. And I LOVE reading everyone's blogs so I wanted to join in on the fun! I read a lot of different types of blogs, but some of my favorites are health and fitness. I'm 22 and a lover of all things outdoors, sports and will be going to medical school in the fall!


I'm currently working as a research intern for a hospital network on a cardiology grant. I graduated from college in May 2014 with a degree in business, biology and biochemistry. All throughout college I was on an NCAA Division I team, which left little time for anything besides studying and sports. So, I decided to take a gap year before starting medical school. Overall, I have loved this year. I've gotten to do a lot of different things that I wouldn't have had the opportunity to do if I was already in school. I went to college 18 hours from home and will be returning home for med school. However, my internship is close to where I went to school so it's been fun to be close to all my college friends, but in an even bigger city. That being said I can't wait for this next adventure! 


2014 ended with QUITE the bang for me! I had interviewed at several schools already, but right before Christmas I got the best present ever. I got into two schools in less than two hours!! I had interviewed at one of my top choice schools and was quite anxious to see if I got in. The interview was MMI and I definitely wasn't sure if I did well, it's such a weird speed-dating process. Afterwards they sent us an email thanking us for interviewing and letting us know that it would be about 4-6 weeks until we heard back. Well fast forward two weeks and one day. I got a call while at work that I had gotten into a different school. It was my first acceptance but I really didn't like the school. Based on the interview day, it wasn't a great fit and I really didn't want to end up there. Don't get me wrong I was glad to have my first acceptance, I was going to med school, but I just wasn't thrilled. WELL..... two hours later and I saw an email with the subject "Status Notification..." and my stomach dropped. It hasn't been four weeks! BUT I GOT IN! Needless to say I was done working for the day at that point, haha, they wouldn't have wanted me getting bad data after being so distracted anyways! That night I had a celebration with some friends and it was truly wonderful to know that I DID IT! I didn't have any further interviews scheduled yet but I really didn't care because I knew I'd be happy going to one of my top choice schools!


Right after Christmas however, the good news kept on coming. I got another email inviting me to interview at one of my other top choices! Throw in time with my wonderful family and a New Years Bowl game and 2015 is off to a great start.


That's all I have time for now, off to work-out and make a healthy dinner but I hope this blog is a helpful reminder of the crazy, adventure that is 2015 and beyond.


TF

No comments:

Post a Comment